Monday, December 9, 2013

In the News--Can't Think of a Thing to Say

Monday is this blog's day to reflect on current news stories about the business of writing, but as I poured over the stories of the day, nothing really called to me. In truth, it has been a very slow news day. But I did stumble across this little tidbit: apparently, Stephen King has joined Twitter. (Big news, y'all.) And in three days, he has amassed 172,258 followers. Wow! Must be nice. (I should maybe think about joining Twitter, too, huh?) And the very first tweet from the prolific and beloved author: "On Twitter at last, and can't think of a thing to say. Some writer I turned out to be."

Stephen King delivers again. If I was on Twitter, I would have followed him no matter who he was just based on that one tweet alone. People have been asking me to blog for years. "You're so funny!" they would say. Or "You have such an interesting perspective." Or "People would love you." Well, I'm finally blogging and the pressure to be funny, interesting and loveable is exhausting, especially on those days when I truly can't think of a thing to say...Today is one of those days. Well, if Stephen King can admit to such a lack of inspiration in his very first tweet, I won't feel so bad.

Besides, sometimes, the day is not about the news, but about the work. Today was a day that was very much about the work.Corresponding with authors, responding to agents, reading, editing, building a website and schmoozing at the company party. Oh and life too: cats, when you have them, like I do, insist on being fed. And then there was the ice on the car that needed to be cleared. Life. And at the end of the day, when all that's done, nope, can't think of a single thing to say. Thanks to Stephen King for the permission to be quiet. And thanks to Stephen King for being on Twitter in the first place. I love when writers write no matter the medium. And no matter the medium their words affect in small, powerful ways. That's what's in the news today.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment